ARTIST OPPORTUNITIES: Summer 2018
We're proud to be part of The Great Exhibition of the North this summer.
Set to be the biggest event in England in 2018, The Great Exhibition of the North will showcase world-class art, culture, design and innovation from the North of England. Engaging and inspiring a global audience of three million plus, the free exhibition will demonstrate the North's trailblazing role in shaping the world today with a programme which will surprise, delight and excite audiences from across the UK and beyond.
Using the city as its stage, three trails across NewcastleGateshead will reveal to the world how the North of England’s great art and culture, design and innovation has shaped our lives.
This summer The Biscuit Factory will feature on the exhibition's Design Trail. Our summer programme will include hosting an exhibition which showcases innovation in craft by Northern makers alongside an engaging and varied programme of events, workshops and talks.
ARTIST OPPORTUNITY: Exhibition
We would like to invite designers, makers, jewellers and print makers working innovatively within their field, to submit an application to be part of a selling exhibition at The Biscuit Factory launching 1 June and running until end August 2018.
Selected for their innovative use of materials, application, method or presentation, this exhibition will showcase work for sale, across a range of disciplines including furniture, ceramics, jewellery and printmaking. This show champions new approaches within the world of craft, presenting accessible pieces to live with or wear.
A public programme of creative workshops, talks and seminars will support this exhibition, providing opportunities to learn, develop and engage with contemporary craft and design.
- Applicants must live or work in the North of England.
- The work must demonstrate how the artist is working innovatively either with material, process or technique.
- Work must be for sale and would be subject to gallery commission. Sales prices should not exceed £3,000 (further details would be provided if successful).
- If successful, a collection of around 8 -12 pieces of artwork must be available to be exhibited at The Biscuit Factory Newcastle and delivered to the gallery by mid May (further details would be provided if successful). We also welcome submissions of one-off or standalone pieces. Consideration will be made to these applications where possible.
- Applicants must be able to collect or arrange collection of any unsold work by end September 2018.
- Successful applicants may be required to replenish their collection of work, according to sales performance throughout the summer.
- Exhibition applicants may also wish to engage with the opportunity listed below.
- Applications must be made to rachel@thebiscuitfactory.
- It may not be possible to respond to all applicants. Successful applicants will be notified by 9 March.
CREATIVE OPPORTUNITY: Partnerships
We would also like to hear from designers, makers, creative professionals and industry experts who can share their skills, expertise and knowledge with our visitors by providing workshops, seminars or opportunities for dialogue. Sessions can be free to attend or payable, details of which can be discussed further.
Expressions of interest must be made to rachel@thebiscuitfactory.